Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Month 'til Midnight: Training For the Firecracker 5k

As I've mentioned once or twice, I'm not only training for the upcoming YMCA Seattle Summer Classic powerlifting competition on June 26th, I'm also training for the 2010 Firecracker 5k on July 3rd. I completed a 5k several years ago when I was first losing weight, but have not been running consistently since. As such, I'm a bit out of shape in that area.

To train for this upcoming run, I am following the Couch to 5k training program over at Cool Running. I haven't been very consistent, as it's proven difficult to train both for a powerlifting competition and a 5k. Nevertheless, I'm trying to make progress at the prescribed rate. This morning, after my bench press workout, I got on the treadmill and did day 2 of week 6, which consists of the following:
  • 5-minute brisk walk to warm up
  • 10-minute jog
  • 3-minute walk
  • 10-minute jog
I managed the first 10 minutes at 6.0 mph, but had to slow down to 5.5 mph to complete the second 10-minute jog. Day 3 this week will entail a full 25-minute jog. If I can manage that, I'll be confident I can jog the full 5k.

0 comments:

Post a Comment